QUALIFYING PATIENTS IN IOWA
The first step is to download the Healthcare Practitioner Certification form. Take this form on your next visit to your neurologist for treatment of your intractable epilepsy.
- Cancer, if the underlying condition or treatment produces one or more of the following
- Severe or chronic pain
- Nausea or severe vomiting
- Cachexia (Severe Wasting)
- Multiple Sclerosis with severe and persistent muscle spasms
- Seizures, including those characteristic of epilepsy
- AIDS or HIV as defined in section 141A.1.
- Crohn’s disease
- amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- any terminal illness, with a probable life expectancy of under one year, if the illness of its treatment produces one or more of the following:
- severe or chronic pain
- nausea or severe vomiting
- cachexia or severe wasting
- Parkinson’s disease
- Untreatable pain
Becoming a Patient as a Minor:
The process for registering a minor patient is the same as for an adult patient.
Benefits of Being a Patient:
Registered patients in Iowa have an affirmative defense for the possession of CBD oil with less than 3% THC content.
Becoming a Caregiver:
To become a caregiver in Iowa, you can find the online application here. You will need a completed Healthcare Practitioner Form signed by your patient's doctor that designates you as the primary caregiver. You will also need a copy of your photo ID, either a valid Driver's license or a valid non-operator's identification card. There will also be a $25 fine.
Iowa does not recognize Out-of-State patient registrations. For more information about traveling as a medical cannabis patient, check out our Travel Guide.
Growing cannabis at home is not legal in the state of Iowa.
Medical cannabis patients can find additional resources here
Share this page