To apply you must be:

  1. A Colorado resident with a valid Social Security number;
  2. Receiving treatment for a qualifying medical condition (see above); and
  3. Examined by a doctor with whom you have a bona fide physician-patient relationship.

You must submit:

  • A Colorado medical marijuana card Application; minors will use the same form.
  • A valid Colorado ID or driver's license. If you are applying online, make sure to have a JPEG or PDF copy of your valid Colorado driver's license or ID. You will upload this to your registration.
  • Your social security number.
  • Caregiver's registration ID if you are applying with a caregiver.
  • Credit card or bank account and routing number to pay the $25 application processing fee.

Eligible conditions:

Eligible conditions include: AIDS, HIV, cancer, glaucoma, Plus any of the following symptoms that are caused by a chronic or debilitating disease, or the treatment of such disease: cachexia (severe weight loss caused by a medical condition or its treatment), severe pain, severe nausea, seizures, or persistent muscle spasms. Your doctor must believe marijuana will relieve these symptoms. Colorado may add other conditions to this list.

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment has received petitions to add the following as "qualifying medical conditions'' for which physicians may recommend medical marijuana. The below conditions were not approved to be included: Asthma, Atherosclerosis, Bi-polar Disease, Crohn's Disease, Diabetes Mellitus (types 1 and 2), Diabetic Retinopathy, Hepatitis C, Hypertension, Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), Opioid Dependence, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Severe Anxiety and Clinical Depression, Tourette's Syndrome.

Becoming a Patient as a Minor:

Minors may be legal medical marijuana patients as long as:

  • They reside in Colorado and have a parent or legal guardian residing in Colorado;
  • Their parent or legal guardian provides consent in writing to serve as the minor's primary caregiver;
  • They have parental consent from each parent residing in Colorado;
  • Two physicians have concluded that the minor applicant has been diagnosed with a debilitation medical condition; and
  • Documentation that one of the physicians referenced in #4 above has explained the possible risks and benefits of medical use of marijuana to the minor applicant and each of the minor applicant's parents residing in Colorado.

Benefits of Being a Patient:

Colorado scores low when it comes to legal protections for patients beyond what is provided for all adults. Patients will not be subject to the normal plant count limits on a home grow.

Becoming a Caregiver:

A primary caregiver must be at least 18 years old, a Colorado resident, must not be the patient's physician, must not have a primary caregiver of his/her own, must submit a Caregiver Acknowledgement form with the patient's Application or Change, Replacement or Surrender Request form, and have significant responsibility for managing the well-being of a patient. The caregiver may legally grow up to 36 plants, no more than half of which are flowering.

Out of State Patients:

Colorado does not offer reciprocity to out of state patients; however, if you are over the age of 21, you will be able to shop at one of the state's adult use dispensaries.

Home Cultivation:

Any adult over the age of 21 may grow cannabis at home. Individuals may have up to six plants with as many as three flowering at one time. If there is more than one adult in a household, there may be a total of twelve plants with up to six flowering.

Rules are different for patients. Should you wish to exceed the regular plant limit, you can grow up to ninety nine plants at home so long as no more than half of them are flowering if your doctor deems that amount sufficient to meet your medical needs. The limiting factor on this has become local ordinances. Many jurisdictions have put a cap on the number of plants regardless of your status as a patient; for example, if you are a patient in Denver you are still subject to a twelve plant limit.