Recommending Cannabis in Delaware
Medical professionals recommending medical cannabis must be a physician properly licensed in the state of Delaware subject to Chapter 17 of Title 24. Only state licensed psychiatrist can recommend medical cannabis for post-traumatic stress disorder. Physicians must state that their patient is likely to receive therapeutic or palliative benefit from the medical use of marijuana to treat or alleviate the patient's debilitating medical condition or symptoms associated with the debilitating medical condition.
A written certification shall be made only in the course of a bona fide physician-patient relationship where the qualifying patient is under the physician's care for her or his primary care or for her or his debilitating medical condition after the physician has completed an assessment of the qualifying patient's medical history and current medical condition. The bona fide physician-patient relationship may not be limited to authorization for the patient to use medical marijuana or consultation for that purpose. The written certification shall specify the qualifying patient's debilitating medical condition.
Qualifying conditions include: Cancer, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, decompensated cirrhosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, agitation of Alzheimer's disease, post-traumatic stress disorder, or the treatment of these conditions, a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces 1 or more of the following: cachexia or wasting syndrome; severe, debilitating pain, that has not responded to previously prescribed medication or surgical measures for more than 3 months or for which other treatment options produced serious side effects; intractable nausea; seizures; or severe and persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those characteristic of multiple sclerosis and any other medical condition or its treatment added by the Delaware Department of Health and Social Services.
Application Forms and Verification List
- This form can be found on pages 4-5 of the patient application.
- Certifying physicians are required to complete both pages of this form.
- Certifying physicians must be licensed in Delaware as a Medical Doctor (MD) or doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO).
- Patients must attain a new physician certification each year to renew their ID card with the Medical Marijuana Program.
- The Office of Medical Marijuana faxes this form to the certifying physician when a patient application is received.
- Certifying physicians must initial the first statement to confirm their signature on the patient's application. Other statements may be identified for the physician's initials.
- Physicians must sign and date the second page.