QUALIFYING PATIENTS IN WEST VIRGINIA
To become a patient in West Virginia, you must be diagnosed with one following eligible conditions:
- Position status for human immunodeficiency virus or acquired immune deficiency syndrome
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity
- Huntington’s disease
- Crohn’s disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Intractable seizures
- Sickle cell anemia
- Severe chronic or intractable pain of neuropathic origin or severe chronic or intractable pain
- Terminal illness that is defined as a medical prognosis of life expectancy of approximately one year or less if the illness runs its normal course
Make an appointment with your physician and ask them to make you a copy of a patient certification form. They will also submit a copy of this form directly to the Office of Medical Cannabis. After your visit, click here and find the "register" button in the top right corner to create an account. There will be a wafting period while your account is verified.
Patient and caregiver applications have a $50 fee.
While you wait, be sure to gather everything you'll need to complete the patient registration process:
- A digital photo of passport quality
- Photo ID, such as a driver's license
- Proof of West Virginia residency- if this criteria is not met by your photo id, submit any document with an address like utility bills or tax records
- Patient Certification Form
When you have all of that together and your account has been verified account, you can fill out the patient registration.
Becoming a Patient as a Minor:
Minors must be under the age of 18 and have a legal guardian or caregiver.
West Virginia does not currently recognize Out-of-State patient registrations. For more information about traveling as a medical cannabis patient, check out our Travel Guide.
Growing cannabis at home is not legal in the state of West Virginia.
Medical cannabis patients can find additional resources here
Share this page