QUALIFYING PATIENTS IN PUERTO RICO
To become a Patient in Puerto Rico, you must first visit your doctor and obtain a medical recommendation for one of the qualifying conditions listed below. After your doctor has recommended cannabis for you, register via the Cannabis licensing website. The process should only take a few minutes. Simply fill out any pertinent information, and attach your doctor's recommendation and a 2x2 photo for the card.
If you are diagnosed with one of the following conditions, you may be eligible for physician certification as a patient in Puerto Rico:
- Hepatitis C
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Anxiety Disorders
- Peripheral Neuropathies
- Bipolar disorder
- Another condition that causes cachexia, chronic pain, severe nausea, or persistent muscle spasms
- Degenerative diseases such as: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Multiple Sclerosis
- Incurable and advanced diseases that require palliative care
- Cancer and Cancer Chemotherapy Treatment
- HIV-positive disorders
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Benefits of Being a Patient:
As a registered patient in Puerto Rico you will have an affirmative defense in court if you are arrested for the possession of cannabis.
Puerto Rico recognizes medical cannabis registrations from other states. For more information about traveling as a medical cannabis patient, check out our Travel Guide.
Growing cannabis at home is not legal in Puerto Rico.
Medical cannabis patients can find additional resources here
Share this page