ASA California Roundup: November 4, 2013
November 04, 2013 | Don Duncan
Have something to share? Scroll down to the bottom for instructions.
- Lakewood City Council looks to restrict use, sale of e-cigarettes (Lakewood)
- Mixed views aired at Vallejo outreach meeting on medical marijuana (Vallejo)
- Modesto pot crops move indoors as questions remain over use (Modesto)
- Eureka City Council to choose how to fill seat; medical marijuana ordinance up for discussion (Eureka)
- South LA Pot Shop Landlord First to Pay Fine for Violating Prop D (Los Angeles)
- Daily Updates from the Jovan Jackson Medical Marijuana Trial (San Diego)
- Medical Cannabis: Voices from the Frontlines (ASA Blog)
- Monday, November 4, 2013 - San Leandro City Council Council Meeting
- Saturday, November 16 - Safe Access Night with SF Bulls Pro Hockey (SPECIAL EVENT!)
- Save the date: April 5-7, 2014 - ASA’s 2nd Annual National Medical Cannabis Unity Conference in Washington, DC.
- Fall Membership Drive: Become an ASA Member Now!
- California Patient Survey
Free Online Services
- Legal Support
- Raid Center
- Medical Cannabis Advocate's Training Center
ASA Chapter Meetings
- Tuesday, November 5, 2013 - San Francisco
- Thursday, November 7, 2013 - Sonoma
- Saturday, November 9, 2013 - Yuba County
- Saturday, November 9, 2013 - Nevada County
Lakewood City Council looks to restrict use, sale of e-cigarettes
By Phillip Zonkel, Long Beach Press Telegram
In response to the growing use of electronic cigarettes and their health impacts, the City Council may regulate their use as they do tobacco products and may create new zoning laws for where they can be sold. Read the full story here.
NOTE: Legislation aimed at curtailing the use of e-cigarettes like the proposal in Lakewood and one in Berkeley could be used to limit the use of vaporizers by legal medical cannabis patients.
Mixed views aired at Vallejo outreach meeting on medical marijuana
By Tony Burchyns, Times-Herald
The heated debate on medical marijuana wafted into Vallejo City Hall on Wednesday night, where Solano County officials sought input from residents on whether dispensaries should be allowed in unincorporated areas. Read the full story here.
Modesto pot crops move indoors as questions remain over use
By Erin Tracy, The Modesto Bee
Outdoor marijuana-growing season has come to a close. But, police say, they will deal with a nearly equal number of indoor operations in the coming months. And both law enforcement and some growers are at odds over the state’s Compassionate Use Act and what constitutes personal use for medicinal reasons. Read the full story here.
Eureka City Council to choose how to fill seat; medical marijuana ordinance up for discussion
Lorna Rodriguez, The Times-Standard
The council also will direct staff how to proceed with the city's medical cannabis ordinance, which regulates personal residential marijuana grows on a land-use basis and allows for the permitting of four medical marijuana dispensaries, because its moratorium expires on Nov. 3.” We've come to a point in time where a decision needs to be made regarding how the council wants to proceed and how we want to regulate cannabis use within the city of Eureka for medical purposes,” Community Development Director Rob Wall said. Read the full story here.
South LA Pot Shop Landlord First to Pay Fine for Violating Prop D
By John Schreiber, Echo Park-Silver Lake Patch
The landlord for a South Los Angeles marijuana dispensary was ordered to pay a $500 fine for violating voter-approved Proposition D, a spokesman for City Attorney Mike Feuer said today. Read the full story here.
Daily Updates from the Jovan Jackson Medical Marijuana Trial
By Terrie Best – San Diego Americans for Safe Access
Jovan Jackson is a Navy veteran and a directing member of Answerdam, a San Diego medical cannabis collective twice raided in previous years which resulted in two different criminal trials for Jovan. Read the full blog post here.
Medical Cannabis: Voices from the Frontlines (ASA Blog)
Read more articles and commentary on ASA's blog, Medical Cannabis: Voices from the Frontlines at http://www.AmericansForSafeAccess.org/blog
Monday, November 4, 2013 - San Leandro City Council Meeting
7:00 PM @ Civic Center, 835 East 14th Street, San Leandro, California 94577. Arrive early to complete a public speaker’s card for agenda item #10. Tell the City Council to reject a staff recommendation to delay the effective date of the ordinance until voters approve a tax measure in November of 2014. Patients need safe and dignified access now.
Saturday, November 16 - Safe Access Night with SF Bulls Pro Hockey
Americans for Safe Access and San Francisco Bulls Hockey have teamed up to offer Safe Access Night at the Cow Palace. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to ASA, so come join other advocates for a night of hard hitting hockey!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info or visit the ticket page.
April 5-7, 2014 - 2nd Annual National Medical Cannabis Unity Conference
Save the date for ASA's second national conference in Washington, DC.
ASA offers patients, their providers, attorneys, medical professionals and policymakers up-to-date information on the medical and legal use of cannabis nation-wide. ASA offers our members legal and legislative support including trainings, capacity-building, analysis, publications and strategic support. We organize media support for court cases, rapid response to law enforcement raids, and media responses to current events. Our successful advocacy, media, and legal campaigns have resulted in important court precedents, new sentencing standards, and more compassionate local and state guidelines.
Join between October 2nd and November 15th for a chance to win a FREE trip to DC for ASA's Annual Conference this April!
Because California has no mandatory state registration for medical cannabis patients, there is very little known about the patient population of the state. Please fill out this completely anonymous 10 question survey for California patients so that we can use this data in our efforts to bring safe access to all parts of the state.
Free Online Services
- Legal Support - Legal information for patients, lawyers, and other about medical cannabis laws the legal system.
- Publications - Education literature and training for patients, activists, and others.
- Raid Center - Be prepared for a law enforcement encounter, let ASA help you in case of a federal raid, and get text alerts regarding local law enforcement activity.
- Medical Cannabis Advocate's Training Center - Learn how to be a more effective advocate for medical cannabis and how to build the movement in your community.
ASA Chapter Meetings (Full Calendar Here)
Tuesday, November 5, 2013 - San Francisco
7:30 pm at 847 Howard St, San Francisco, CA 94103
For more info, contact: email@example.com
Thursday, November 7, 2013 - Sonoma
5:00 pm at the Arlene Francis Center, 99 West 6th Street, Santa Rosa, CA
For more info, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, November 9, 2013 - Yuba County
Time and location TBA
For more information, contact email@example.com
Saturday, November 9, 2013 - Nevada County
12:00 pm at 8924 Donner Pass Rd Truckee CA 96161
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Have something to share?
The “California Weekly Roundup” is a once-a-week email for ASA Members and Friends that focuses on relevant news and important updates, action alerts, meetings and special events. Send items for the California Weekly Roundup to CARoundup@SafeAccessNow.org before 12:00 PM on Friday to be included in Monday's distribution.