ASA 2014 Accomplishments
VICTORY AND PROGRESS ON THE FEDERAL LEVEL
- ASA hosted the largest medical cannabis citizen lobby day in US history, taking more than 300 patients and advocates to 500 meetings with Congressional offices.
- ASA hosted the second annual National Medical Cannabis Unity Conference in Washington, DC, with 350 patients, advocates, researchers, industry leaders, and more. This conference is now the premier medical cannabis politics, science, and advocacy event of the year.
- After twelve years of work by ASA and some strategic last minute advocacy, Congress finally adopted an amendment to the omnibus budget bill that removes funding for federal interference and intimidation in medical cannabis states. This means the US Department of Justice cannot spend money on investigation, raids, prosecution, or incarceration related to legal medical cannabis activity.
- ASA launched a new and improved Vote Medical Marijuana 2014 website to help patients and advocates make informed decisions about candidates in the crucial 2014 midterm elections.
- ASA supported HR 689, the "States' Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act." HR 689 aims to reclassify marijuana for medical use, increase therapeutic research, and restrict DOJ enforcement on a more permanent basis.
- ASA supported the "Veterans Equal Access Act,” a federal bill that would allow our country's veterans to become medical cannabis patients in states where it's legal.
PATIENT FOCUSED CERTIFICATION: PROTECTING PATIENTS’ WELFARE
- After working closely with ASA, The American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) released its long-awaited medical marijuana manufacturing guidelines today, completing its compendium of industry standards, which include regulatory recommendations for cannabis from seed to sale.
- ASA’s Patient Focused Certification program, which helps ensure quality and integrity in the medical cannabis industry, certified medical cannabis providers in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Washington, Maine, and Washington, DC.
SHAPING THE NATIONAL DIALOG
- ASA ran TV advertisements under the banner of "Vote Medical Marijuana" in Congressional districts in Florida, Maryland, and Washington State. The ads informed constituents how members of the House voted on an important issue affecting medical marijuana patients.
- ASA’s proactive media worked helped shine a national spotlight on the case of the “Kettle Falls 5,” a group of family and friends being prosecuted for growing medical cannabis in Washington. ASA flew defendants to Washington, DC, to meet in person with members of Congress and helped place the story in influential media like CNN.
- ASA teamed up with the world's largest cannabis information resource, Leafly, to run advertisements about medical cannabis and chronic pain in USA Today's NFL Special Edition, which was read by football fans across the country.
MOVING FORWARD IN THE STATES AND DC
- ASA lobbied officials to eliminate the arbitrary list conditions for which medical cannabis can be recommended and dramatically expand the number of plants that providers can cultivate in Washington, DC – a move that extended legal protection and access to thousands of residents.
- ASA was instrumental in passing a new medical cannabis law in Maryland, and we engaged lawmakers in thirteen other states to help adopt and improve medical cannabis laws in 2014.
- ASA was successful in getting product safety standards added to state laws and regulations Illinois, Oregon, Nevada, Massachusetts, and Maryland. The standards will protect hundreds of thousands of legal patients.
- ASA’s Health Before Happy Hour campaign pushed for important changes in Washington state law to protect patients who use medical cannabis from harmful regulations aimed at rolling the state’s medical cannabis program into the new recreational marketplace.
- ASA members helped persuade the influential California Medical Association to oppose the practice of denying organ transplants to cannabis users. ASA will sponsor legislation in California in 2015 to make this the law.
- ASA helped to improve two major legislative proposals regarding commercial medical cannabis regulations in California by successfully amending legislation more than a dozen times. ASA also helped stop a bill in the state legislature that would have established unscientific DUI limits for legal patients.
On the Horizon for 2015
ASA has big plans for 2015, and we hope you are a part of it!
- One ASA’s top priorities in 2015 will be to implement the new law passed by Congress that removes funding for federal interference and intimidation in medical cannabis states. ASA will act as a federal watchdog to find and stop federal interference, meet with officials at the Department of Justice, and file briefs and writs to enforce the law in federal court.
- ASA will file a new legal challenge to the federal classification of medical cannabis under the Data Quality Act, and obscure federal statue that requires government policy to be based on science.
- ASA will introduce comprehensive medical cannabis legislation in Congress in 2015.
- We will host the biggest and most important medical cannabis conference and citizen lobby day in Congress in 2015. Join us for the National Medical Cannabis Unity Conference & Citizen Lobby Day March 27-31st in Washington, DC.
- ASA will support legislation to better regulate commercial medical cannabis activity and protect patients’ rights in California and Washington.
- ASA will sponsor a bill in California to protect medical cannabis patients who need organ transplants from discrimination.
- ASA will work with lawmakers and local stakeholders to introduce new medical cannabis legislation in Indiana, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and more.
- ASA will expand its new Patient Focused Certification Program to ensure quality and integrity in the emerging medical cannabis industry.
- ASA will continue to offer free legal support and education for tens of thousands of patients and other stakeholders.
Share this page
Our Partners and Sponsors
Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps are synonymous with Old-World quality and time-honored simplicity, which can be traced back to the family’s German-Jewish soap making tradition. Born in 1908 to a Jewish family that had been making soap since 1858, Emanuel Bronner was the third generation certified as a master-soapmaker under the guild system of the time. In 1929, he brought his formulas for high-quality liquid and bar soaps to America, starting Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps in its current form in 1948. 2008 marks both the 60th anniversary of Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps in America and the 150th anniversary of our family’s first soapmaking activity in southern Germany. We strive to honor our heritage with progressive business practices, while devoting profits to worthwhile causes and charities worldwide.
Dr. Bonner's Magic Soaps
Toll Free (877) 786-3649
Every ingredient that we include in our products is there for a specific therapeutic reason. We do not use fillers of any kind, meaning that almost every ingredient in our products is an “active” ingredient. This results in pure, highly concentrated, and effective formulas that are a rarity in the skincare and cosmetics world today. All of our formulas are original, created and tested by us, on real people — never on animals and always from scratch. All of our products have an emphasis on organic, high quality, and food-grade ingredients.
Knowing that everything we put on our skin quickly absorbs into our bodies, we ethically source the finest raw natural materials the earth has to offer. With ingredients ranging from French pink clay to Brazilian gemstones, we formulate treatments that combine essential vitamins, minerals, and botanicals to restore skin to its optimum health and vitality.
In addition to creating products that give you noticeable results, we also create our products with personal rejuvenation and a little indulgence in mind. We believe that daily bathing and skincare rituals should be enjoyable — a way to carve out some much-needed downtime in your hectic routine. From thoughtfully designed packaging and labels that really allow our ingredients to shine through, to intoxicating scents and luxurious textures, we truly want you to love your skincare and bathing routines.
Founded by Julia Wills and Alexander Kummerow in 2011 in their Seattle kitchen.
Our mission is to be the premier advisory firm for cannabis businesses at all stages of development, from basic planning to enterprise-level scaling and international expansion.
Metrc is the most trusted and experienced provider of cannabis regulatory systems in the United States. Our solution combines advanced software, radio-frequency identification (RFID) technology, a dedicated customer-support team, and a secure database to track and trace cannabis from seed, growth, harvest, and processing to testing, transport, and sale. Our seed-to-sale data provides valuable insights to growers, processors, retailers, and regulators to help ensure a safe and compliant cannabis industry.
A2LA is the only independent, 501(c)3, non-profit, internationally-recognized accreditation body in the United States that offers a full range of comprehensive laboratory and laboratory-related accreditation services and training.
LESS+MORE is an independent, award-winning branding agency. We work with organizations of all sizes and types, in branding, design, interactive, and advertising. We focus on one thing: delivering creative that works.
Reach us at [email protected] or 619-341-9239.
Friends of ASA
Founded in 1982, the American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) is the national trade association and voice of the herbal products industry. AHPA is comprised of more than 350 member companies, consisting primarily of domestic and foreign companies doing business as growers, processors, manufacturers and marketers of herbs and herbal products as foods, dietary supplements, cosmetics, and non-prescription drugs, and also including companies that provide expert services to the herbal trade. AHPA's mission is to promote the responsible commerce of herbal products to ensure that consumers continue to enjoy informed access to a wide variety of herbal goods.
New Cannabis Ventures contributes original content and curates quality news on only the most promising cannabis companies and the most influential investors, allowing you to save time as you stay on top of the latest trends in this dynamic industry.
StreetPulse is a New York-based data mining company that provides insightful strategies to its clients.
The company uses its proprietary technology and 20 years’ experience of data collection, analysis and distribution to create unique solutions for established and growing organizations & markets.
Ganja Goddess is a licensed medical and adult-use cannabis delivery company that curates a wide variety of cannabis products, carefully selected from our favorite growers, brands, and manufacturers.
The Council for Federal Cannabis Regulation (CFCR) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit based in Washington, DC. The mission of CFCR is to assist the government, and specifically-federal regulatory agencies, to rethink, develop, and implement evidence-based cannabis regulations. Our overarching goal is the de-stigmatization, normalization, and legitimization of cannabis on behalf of consumers, professionals, organizations, and businesses who support and serve them. We do this by serving as a conduit for informed scientific research, inclusive education, and by mainstreaming the best practices that enable the industry to maximize its potential.
Cannabis Patient Care is an educational resource for medical professionals and patients on the latest research and treatment options cannabis offers.
We're happy to say that all ASA members can receive a free subscription to Cannabis Patient Care magazine. So head to our Members Only section to sign up today. If you can't access the page, you may need to renew your membership or contact Geoffrey Marshall for assistance.
Our mission is to assist people in exploring how cannabis can have a positive impact on their medical conditions and wellbeing. By encouraging patients to mindfully track their experiences, we believe they will strengthen their relationship with themselves while also learning how cannabis can help alleviate their specific symptoms & ailments.
We focus on serving the Technology, Energy & Infrastructure and Finance sectors globally. Clients worldwide call on our teams for forward-looking commercial advice on transactions, litigation and compliance matters. We bring distinctive quality, teamwork and value to the table – and innovate in everything we do.
TheAnswerPage was launched in 1998 to provide daily education to doctors in training and in practice. Today, physicians, nurses and all healthcare professionals will find TheAnswerPage an effective way to review core knowledge and new developments in their fields while learning the latest evidence-based practice.
The mission of U.S. Pain Foundation is to educate, empower, connect, and advocate for people living with chronic conditions that cause pain. As a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to serving those who live with painful conditions and their care providers, U.S. Pain Foundation helps individuals find resources and inspiration.
Patient advocacy has been key in gaining rights for individuals to use cannabis under the care of a physician world-wide. Patient advocates must over come cultural fears of the cannabis plant, the illegal status of the use of cannabis as a medicine, and the gap in education for patients and medical professionals. While we may speak different languages and live under varying governmental structures; compassion, science and human health are the same in every language, in every country, and in every doctors office.
Founded in 1876 and chartered by the U.S. Congress, we are the world’s largest scientific society. Our mission is to advance the broader chemistry enterprise and its practitioners for the benefit of Earth and its people. Our vision is to improve people’s lives through the transforming power of chemistry.
Evoke Law is an intellectual property law firm based in San Francisco. Established in 2009 (as Mary L. Shapiro Law), we have focused on protecting cannabis brands under a complex federal and state law legislative and regulatory scheme to register trademarks. We support multiple industry organizations with pro bono Trademark legal services, including Americans for Safe Access, Marijuana Policy Project, California Cannabis Industry Association, Origins Council, and the International Cannabis Bar Association.
The Cannabis Community is a Chicago-based media platform that is powered by its members, marketplace and consumer insights.
With CannaKeys 360, unlock the science of cannabis and the endocannabinoid system and understand the state of the science in real time. Access a database of over 3500 published studies for over 240 conditions searching by health condition, cannabinoid, terpene, or organ system. Search results feature dashboard summaries and insights including clinical dosing summaries, chemotype guidance, full study lists with details, and summary information. With CannaKeys 360 you have a real-time, meta-analysis of the latest research at your fingertips.
We're very pleased to announce that all ASA members will receive a 30% discount on their CannaKeys subscription. So head to our Members Only section to receive your discount. If you can't access the page, you may need to renew your membership or contact Geoffrey Marshall for assistance.
The U.S. Hemp Roundtable is a coalition of dozens of leading companies and organizations committed to safe hemp and CBD products.
The Cannigma is all about answering cannabis questions — with research. From treatments and conditions to how to roll a joint, we combine scrupulous fact-checking with editorial flair to tell readers what they need to know.
ASA serves our mission with the help and support of many organizations and businesses. Click here to learn more about these amazing allies!