- Get Informed Get Informed
- Get Involved Get Involved
- News News
Vote Medical Marijuana 2016
It is less than two weeks until the 2016 elections. Do you know where the candidates stand on medical cannabis? It matters. Lawmakers at the local, state and federal level are going to make important decisions about medical cannabis that affect your life in the next two years. Cities and counties will decide whether to ban or regulate patient safe access, state legislatures will vote on commercial licensing and patients’ rights measures, and the new US Congress may decide whether or not to keep paying for medical cannabis enforcement.
Today ASA is relaunching our updated MMJ Voter’s Guide and voter education website. We have analyzed the voting records of every Member of Congress to create an educational guide about the voting records of each House Representative and Senator. We have also announced the organization’s positions on each of the medical and adult-use ballot measures.
Check out VoteMedicalMarijuana right now!
For your education and convenience, ASA has gathered the names of the candidates with the highest grades for supporting medical cannabis patients, either through appropriations amendment votes or support of the CARERS Act. The members all earned "A" grades. Members who earned "B" grades can also be considered supporters of safe access at the federal level. Candidates with "C" or "D" grades have a mixed record, while those with "F" grades did not support federal medical cannabis reform in the 114th Congress.
US Senators who earned "A" grades:
- Barbara Boxer (D) California**
- Michael Bennet (D) Colorado
- Chris Murphy (D) Connecticut
- Mazie Hirono (D) Hawaii*
- Brian Schatz (D) Hawaii
- Rand Paul (R) Kentucky
- Elizabeth Warren (D) Massachusetts*
- Angus King (I) Maine*
- Barbara Mikulski (D) Maryland**
- Al Franken (D) Minnesota*
- Steve Daines (R) Montana*
- Cory Booker (D) New Jersey*
- Martin Heinrich (D) New Mexico*
- Dean Heller (R) Nevada*
- Kirsten Gillibrand (D) New York*
- Chuck Schumer (D) New York
- Jeff Merkley (D) Oregon*
- Ron Wyden (D) Oregon
- Patty Murray (D) Washington
- Tammy Baldwin (D) Wisconsin*
US House Representatives who earned "A" grades:
* = not up for reelection in 2016 due to the staggering of 6-year Senate terms
** = retiring in 2016
We encourage you to utilize Vote Medical Marijuana as an educational tool and to do your own research - especially at the local level - to make the most informed decisions to support safe access to medical cannabis this year.
Share this page