The Legislative Assistant is responsible for assisting the Senior Director of Government Relations and External Affairs with the drafting and analysis of federal and state legislation and regulations, assisting with government outreach, and tracking and reporting on federal and state legislative and regulatory changes. The Legislative Assistant also prepares daily briefings for the Senior Director and communications staff.
This position is also responsible for the creation of materials for patients in medical cannabis states including the State of the States report, an annual report grading states on their medical cannabis programs.
- Assists the Senior Director with reliable, timely analysis and strategic guidance on legislative and regulatory activities at the federal, state, and local levels
- Assists with organizational advocacy efforts which includes representing ASA’s voice with critical House and Senate offices, tracking legislation, monitoring various committee meetings, review and analysis of legislation and executive policies, maintaining the legislative database, and related activities
- Participates in coalition meetings on behalf of ASA and works with various organizations and key staff on advocacy strategies, including writing letters to the executive and legislative branches, informing action alerts, and conducting Hill outreach
- Develops fact sheets, background memos, testimony, sign-on letters, policy briefs, blog posts, newsletter stories, and provide updates to website as needed
- Collaborates with key staff, chapters and affiliates to strengthen state policy goals
- Communicates policy positions to external audiences
- Assists ASA chapters and affiliates with legislative strategic development, including planning and execution of state efforts
- Responds to requests from policymakers, including preparing and delivering written or verbal testimony, developing legislative and/or regulatory options, and analyzing public policy issues
- Provides input to ASA policy team on issues related to states’ policy
- Assists in updating federal and state website pages
Skills and Qualifications:
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree
- Experience in legislative analysis and recommendations
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment which may require frequent change in focus and priorities
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Passion for ASAs mission of providing safe and legal access to medical cannabis for all patients in need
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment
- 1-2 years of experience as a legislative assistant or similar role
- Previous experience in Congressional offices
- Knowledge of current medical cannabis state and federal laws and regulations
This is a full-time salaried position. ASA provides competitive benefits including health care options and personal and sick leave. This position will be located in our Washington, D.C. office, but may require up to 10% travel. Send resume, cover letter, and 3 writing samples to: [email protected].