- Get Informed Get Informed
- Get Involved Get Involved
- News News
Please join us in getting the MORE Act passed!
The MORE Act just passed in the House Judiciary Committee on September 30,2021 by a vote of 26-15. With the passage of this bill in a key U.S. House of Representatives committee, we are one step closer to ending the federal prohibition of cannabis once and for all!
We support the MORE Act because it would remove cannabis from the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and benefit the medical cannabis community in several ways:
- Ending the conflict of laws between the federal and state governments on cannabis.
- Enabling patients to travel across state lines with their medication without fear of punitive law enforcement intervention, fines or jail time.
- Improving facilitation of federal, academic and private research on medical cannabis in the U.S.
- Introducing much-needed federal leadership and oversight over key components of medical cannabis policy that states have struggled with, such as laboratory testing and labeling standards, patient access, and medical cannabis businesses practices.
- Establishing grant programs for cannabis job training programs, cannabis-related criminal records expungement programs and a national equity licensing program.
- Allowing federal permits to applicants with felony cannabis convictions.
- Creating an Office of Cannabis Justice to oversee social equity provisions in the bill.
- Directing taxes from retail sales to pay for job training, legal fees and health education programs in impacted communities.
- Helping disadvantaged business owners to create equitable cannabis licensing programs for individuals impacted by the drug war.
Despite this victory in the Committee, we still have work to do. We need to ensure that the MORE Act is introduced on the floor of the House of Representatives for a vote by the full body, and we need to make sure it passes the House with additional amendments that are centered around the needs of medical cannabis patients.
We urge you to contact your member of Congress to ask that they support the bill, should the MORE Act go to the full House floor for a vote. Use the simple tool below to use our template email with your Representative.
Share this page