One Last Thing Before the Champagne… We need your help to make 2016 an even better year for medical cannabis!
December 30, 2015 | Steph Sherer
There was a lot to celebrate in 2015. Forty states have passed laws that allow the medical use of cannabis in some form, and more individuals have access than ever before. Congressional support for medical cannabis has never been stronger. We are closer than ever to finally reaching our goal of safe and legal access to medical cannabis for everyone who needs it.
ASA’s work is at the heart of this historic progress, and as an ASA Member, you helped make it happen! Look at some of the highlights of what you helped accomplish this year.
- Introduced comprehensive bi-partisan federal medical cannabis legislation in Senate and House
- Passed Federal “cease fire” on medical cannabis patients
- Won the largest successful vote in Congress yet - 242 to 186
- Hosted Senate and Congressional briefings
- Coordinated thousands of constituent meetings with elected officials
- Co-founded the International Medical Cannabis Patient Coalition (IMCPC)
- Testified before legislators and regulators in dozens of states
- Passed comprehensive state regulatory bills
- Added product safety protocols to state laws across the country
- Passed an organ transplant patients rights bill in California
- Testified at the World Health Organization (WHO) on medical cannabis
- Organized thousands of constituent meetings with elected officials
- Generated hundreds of thousands emails, calls and signatures on petitions
- Launched the International Cannabis and Cannabinoid Institute (ICCI)
- Provided up-to date information on medical cannabis laws to millions through ASA’s website
- Educated thousands of patients on cannabis as a medicine
- Trained thousands of medical cannabis industry workers on product safety protocol compliance
- Represented patient perspective in the media and at conferences around world
Each one of these accomplishments represents thousands of hours of human power from ASA staff and volunteers. I am grateful to work with such a dedicated team! Your generous support and dedication over the last thirteen years created the possibilities for our victories in 2015.
2016 will be the most important year for medical cannabis policy yet. In 2016, we will see dozens of new state legislative proposals, dozens of states implementing medical cannabis programs, federal agencies grappling with policy, the presidential election, congressional elections, ballot measures, and the United Nation General Assembly Special Session on Drug Policy. The outcome of these events are unclear but all will have a significant impact on the future of medical cannabis policy.
We know what we need to do to ensure the best outcome for patients, but we need to know we will have the resources to tackle what is in front of us. We now have the best opportunity in the history of medical cannabis to end the war on patients and research once and for all. But it won’t happen from “momentum”, it will only happen if we seize this opportunity and give it our all in 2016!
My commitment to ASA’s mission is stronger than ever but ASA needs your commitment to realize the potential ahead of us in 2016.
- Give a one-time tax-deductible donation to ASA Foundation today and help us meet our end of year goal of $50,000.
- Pledge to become a monthly contributor to ASA in 2016. By giving $10, $25, $50 a month to ASA you are ensuring that we will have the budget to carry out our important campaigns. I need 1,000 of our supporters to pledge $25 a month to ensure we pass federal legislation
Imagine what could be toasting next New Year:
- “Medical Cannabis Patients No Longer Criminals in the US”
- “Medical Cannabis Patients have Access in all 50 States”
- “UN Changes International Policy on Cannabis”
- “Thousands of Doctors Educated about Cannabis Therapeutics”
- “Patients and Physicians can trust labels on medical cannabis products nation-wide”
Thank you for all that you do to ensure safe and legal access to medical cannabis for patients!
Have a very Happy New Year!