- About About
Medical Patient Resources Cannabis Care Certification Patient's Guide to Medical Cannabis Patient's Guide to CBD Talking to your doctor Become a Legal Medical Marijuana Patient The Medical Cannabis Patient’s Guide for U.S. Travel Guide to Using Medical Cannabis Cannabis Tincture, Salve, Butter and Oil Recipes Arthritis and Medical Cannabis Cancer and Medical Cannabis Chronic Pain and Medical Cannabis Gastrointestinal Disorders and Medical Cannabis HIV/AIDS and Medical Cannabis Movement Disorders and Medical Cannabis Multiple Sclerosis and Medical Cannabis Aging and Medical Cannabis Veterans and Medical Cannabis Medical Marijuana Conditions in Your Area Growing Cannabis Tracking Treatment & Gathering Data with Releaf App Medical Professional Resources Medical Cannabis Continuing Medical Education (CME) Cannabis Safety Medical Cannabis Research
- Legal Legal
Advocacy ASA Chapters Start an ASA Chapter Take Action Congress Must Act for Cannabis Patients! Pass Medical Cannabis Legislation NOW! Campaigns No Patient Left Behind End Pain, Not Lives Vote Medical Marijuana Medical Cannabis Advocate's Training Center Resources for Tabling and Lobby Days Strategic Planning Civics 101 Strategic Messaging Citizen Lobbying Participating in Implementation Movement Building Organizing a Demonstration Organizing Turnout for Civic Meetings Public Speaking Media 101 Patient's History of Medical Cannabis
- News News
Policy Policy Positions Model Federal Legislation Download Ending The Federal Conflict Public Comments by ASA Industry Standards Guide to Regulating Industry Standards Reports 2021 State of the States Medical Cannabis Access for Pain Treatment Cannabis and Cannabis Resin- Critical Review Preparation Document Recognizing Science using the Data Quality Act Data Quality Act Briefs Fact Sheet on ASA's Data Quality Act Petition to HHS ASA Data Quality Act petition to HHS Information on Lawyers and Named Patients in the Data Quality Act Lawsuit
- Join Join
Manager of Government Affairs
Americans for Safe Access (“ASA”) is seeking a Manager of Government Affairs. The Manager will help ASA implement state and federal policies that improve access for medical cannabis patients around the country. The Manager will be responsible for crafting legislative and lobbying strategy on the federal, state and local levels. The Manager will interface with ASA state chapter leaders and advocates to: 1) analyze legislative proposals; 2) draft legislative proposals; and 3) work with state lawmakers to pass legislation out of key committees and through full legislative chambers.
This role provides the rare opportunity to make an immediate impact on the medical cannabis community. This position reports directly to the Director of Americans for Safe Access. This is a full-time job based in Washington, D.C.
In addition, the Manager should be comfortable interacting with local and national media to provide ASA’s perspective on newsworthy medical cannabis developments. The Manager of Government Affairs will also help coordinate and develop compelling advocacy materials and campaigns.
Candidates must have strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build internal and external relationships. Capitol Hill or state legislative affairs experience is required. A law degree or other advanced public policy degree is strongly preferred.
Experience with medical cannabis issues and medical cannabis laws and regulations is strongly preferred. Non-profit experience is also preferred.
- Track state legislation related to medical cannabis and compile annual report (“State of the States Report”) of legislation that was passed that benefits or negatively impacts ASA’s members
- Track federal legislation and appropriations provisions that impact medical cannabis patients and identify key allies and opponents on Capitol Hill
- Build coalitions on Capitol Hill and with external stakeholder groups to move forward policy that benefits ASA members, including writing or joining letters to the executive and legislative branches on behalf of coalition members
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with advocates, elected officials, regulators and staff in order to advocate effectively for the legislative and regulatory policy goals of ASA
- Assist with organizational advocacy efforts which includes representing ASA’s voice with critical House and Senate offices, tracking legislation, monitoring various committee meetings, reviewing and analysis of legislation and executive policies, maintaining the legislative database, and related activities informing action alerts and conducting Hill outreach
- Develops fact sheets, background memos, reports, testimony, sign-on letters, policy briefs, blog posts, newsletter stories, and provide updates to website as needed and assists chapters, affiliates with strategic development, including planning and execution
- Represents ASA at various conferences, professional meetings, and other relevant events
- Collaborates with key staff, chapters and affiliates to strengthen state policy goals
- Communicates policy positions to external audiences through writing and speaking
- Responds to requests from policymakers, including preparing and delivering written or verbal testimony, developing legislative and/or regulatory options, and analyzing public policy issues
- Provides input to ASA policy team on issues related to states’ policy
- Organize opportunities for ASA members to share their stories with elected officials through action alerts, email blasts, including organizing annual Congressional fly-in day
- Serve as a legal resource for ASA members with individual legal problems, either through direct advice or coordination with outside counsel
- Bachelor’s Degree required, an advanced degree in law or policy related preferred
- 1-3 years experience working on state legislative policy, Capitol Hill, lobbying, or a non-profit organization
- Experience with political engagement preferred (campaigns, fundraising, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Team player who can work well with others across all departments
- Familiarity with media communications and press releases
- Ability to build strong partnerships with state level and federal advocates
- Ability to respond and adapt to rapidly changing priorities and managing tight deadlines for multiple projects
Please submit your resume, cover letter, salary expectations and two writing samples to [email protected].
About Americans for Safe Access
The mission of Americans for Safe Access (ASA) is to ensure safe and legal access to cannabis (marijuana) for therapeutic uses and research. ASA works with our grassroots base of over 100,000 advocates to effect change using public education and direct advocacy at the local, state, and federal level.
Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis before June 5, 2020.
We value diversity on our staff and especially encourage women, people of color, indigenous people, disabled people, and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
- Write an amendment to the MORE Act (H.R. 3884/S. 2227) that would benefit medical cannabis patients
- Mock press release giving ASA’s stance on any COVID-19 issue