Becoming a Caregiver Producer or Provider in Montana

Provider/Marijuana Infused Products Provider (MIPP) 

Montana has all but disbanded both the caregiver program and distribution programs and replaced them with the Provider/Marijuana Infused Products Provider (MIPP) program. Provider/MIPP fees are $50 and will not be refunded if the if the application is incomplete, denied or the card is revoked.

All applications require a photocopy of a valid (not expired) Montana driver's license or state issued ID, to prove Montana residency. Change request forms do not require a copy of a driver’s license or state issued ID and do not require a fee.

All provider/MIPP applicants must submit fingerprints at the time of application, and have their background check completed, before their application can be processed. Provider/MIPP applicants must be named by a registered cardholder (patient) applicant, in order to become a provider/MIPP. Provider/MIPP applicants must send at least one change request form for a patient naming the applicant as their provider, with their provider application packet.   

If a provider/MIPP applicant is renting or leasing the property where they are cultivating and manufacturing marijuana, they must include a notarized Landlord Permission Form with their application packet. 

If a registered cardholder (patient) applicant names a provider on their application and that person is not an approved provider/MIPP, the approved patient will receive a card with no named provider.  If the person named is approved to be a provider/MIPP by the department, the patient will receive a new card with the approved provider listed.

Registered cardholders who wish to add a provider, or make changes to their personal information must use a change request form to notify the department.  Providers must use a change request form to notify the department of changes to their personal information.  Registered cardholders and providers, who do not notify the department of address changes within 10 days of the change, may be revoked from the registry.

All forms must be signed and cannot be submitted electronically. Forms are available through the Department of Public Health.