The role of advocacy has changed dramatically over the last 20 years, as have the tools needed to affect change. This is why Americans for Safe Access will be hosting a Medical Cannabis Advocacy Academy and Hill Day, May 15-16, in Washington, DC to bring together key advocates from around the country to prepare for the next phase of the fight for safe access.
At this timely event, new and seasoned advocates alike will sharpen their advocacy skills in trainings and workshops, practice campaign messaging and participate in strategy discussions about campaign activities. During Hill Day, groups of participants will meet with key members of congress to share their stories about the impacts federal policies has on their lives and practice their citizen lobbying skills. (see full agenda below)
Tickets: $150 (limited to 75 attendees) Please scroll down to register.
Unity 2022 registrants will receive free access (please email [email protected] to secure your spot).
Festival Center in Washington D.C.
1640 Columbia Road NW
Washington, DC 20009
Check out our list of nearby lodging options available.
As a non-profit, we are always appreciative of businesses that support our work. If you are interested in supporting this event as a sponsor, please check out our sponsorship page for options to fit any budget.
DAY 1: MONDAY, MAY 15TH
- 9:30 AM – REGISTRATION & BREAKFAST
- 10:00 AM – WELCOME & ACTIVE LISTENING EXERCISE
- 10:30 AM – OVERVIEW OF ASA STRATEGIC PLAN & DEEP DIVE 2023 CAMPAIGNS
- ASA staff will discuss campaign plans & activities for 2023 setting the framework for the Academy’s agenda & activities. Participants will engage in workshop to incorporate these campaigns into their local advocacy.
- 11:30 AM – NAVIGATING VICTORY
- With federal changes in cannabis policy likely to happen in the 118th Session of Congress, this session will discuss how to best be prepared when those changes occur. Discussion will center around potential impacts for patients, both negative and positive, & explore leverage points where we can make a difference in outcomes.
- 12:30 PM – LUNCH
- 1:00 PM – REVAMPING STRATEGIES: CHALLENGES OF ORGANIZING WITHOUT A VISIBLE CRISIS OR ENEMY
- In this session we will discuss strategies to better define issues facing patients & explore activities to ensure they are at the forefront of the political process.
- 2:00 PM – BRINGING PATIENTS BACK INTO THE CONVERSATION: UTILIZING MEDIA TOOLS
- With cannabis policy sharing a focus with adult-use, medical patients are being pushed to the sidelines. This training will include an overview of ways we can reengage the media to get our messages back into the national and local dialogue in cannabis matters. Topics will include developing strategic messaging, pitching stories, crafting sound bites, and learning more about how to talk to the media to bring the focus back to patients.
- 3:30 PM – BROADENING & DEEPENING SOCIAL MEDIA REACH
- In this workshop we will explore how to take social media engagement to the next level, turning views into action, extending outside our current networks to build our movement, and mindfully target the supporters we need to galvanize into action.
- 5:00 PM – ORGANIZING 101- BACK TO BASICS
- In this training we will unpack all the tools in our “advocacy tool kit” & explore ways to utilize them in our organizing efforts.
- 6:30 PM – DINNER AND ENGAGEMENT EXERCISES
DAY 2: TUESDAY, MAY 16TH
- 9:30 AM – KICK-OFF & LOGISTICS WALKTHROUGH
- 10:30 AM – PUTTING PATIENTS BACK INTO POLICY: CITIZEN LOBBYING & ADMINISTRATIVE ENGAGEMENT
- In this session we will explore all the avenues available to advocates to impact the legislation & regulations that affect their lives. Participants will receive a training on citizen lobbying & have an opportunity to practice in exercises utilizing the knowledge they have gained from the academy sessions.
- 12:00 PM – UBER TO CAPITOL HILL
- 12:30 PM – GROUP PHOTO
- 1:00-5:00 PM – MEETINGS WITH CONGRESSIONAL STAFF
- 5:00 PM – RECEPTION
Get your ticket now!
May 15, 2023 at 9:30am - May 17, 2023
The Festival Center
1640 Columbia Rd NW
Washington, DC 20009
Google map and directions
Debbie Churgai ·
Share this page
Share this page