ASA California Roundup: October 28, 2013
October 28, 2013 | Don Duncan
Have something to share? Scroll down to the bottom for instructions.
- Study: Cannabis Compounds Can Kill Cancer Cells (National)
- California Is Poised To Legalize Marijuana In 2016 (California)
- Measured approach best for medical marijuana (Calaveras)
- Mariposa County considers tougher marijuana growing laws (Mariposa)
- Hash oil extraction is a growing, dangerous trend - officials (Orange County)
- Rohnert Park man accused of trying to sell marijuana online won't get it back (Rhonert Park)
- Medical Cannabis: Voices from the Frontlines (ASA Blog)
- SPECIAL EVENT - Saturday, November 16 - Safe Access Night with SF Bulls Pro Hockey
- Sign the petition for Jovan Jackson
- Fall Membership Drive: Become an ASA Member Now!
- California Patient Survey
Free Online Services
- Legal Support
- Raid Center
- Medical Cannabis Advocate's Training Center
ASA Chapter Meetings
- Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - San Diego (North County)
- Thursday, October 31, 2013 - Sacramento
- Monday, November 4, 2013 - Ventura ASA Action Group Meeting
Study: Cannabis Compounds Can Kill Cancer Cells
A British researcher has found that cannabinoids, a term for chemicals derived from marijuana, can kill leukemia cells, and he expects clinical trials for new medications to begin soon. The findings, published in the October issue of the journal Anticancer Research, show that certain non-psychoactive cannabinoids "resulted in dramatic reductions in cell viability" and "caused a simultaneous arrest at all phases of the cell cycle," according to an abstract posted online. Full Story
California Is Poised To Legalize Marijuana In 2016
Nearly two-thirds (65 percent) of Californians support legalizing, regulating and taxing recreational marijuana in the state, according to a Tulchin Research poll.
The figure, based on responses of 1,200 likely 2016 voters surveyed during the last two weeks, shows a "solid majority" back proposals to legalize adult recreational marijuana, the San Francisco-based pollster said. The poll found 32 percent oppose legalization and 3 percent were undecided. Full Story
Measured approach best for medical marijuana
Over the past year, there has been a sudden increase in the number of marijuana providers setting up shop in Calaveras. This trend has been covered in detail by the Calaveras Enterprise. The organization that I represent, Collective Patient Resources, has been advocating for area patients and their families for about five years. CPR members want the public to understand that though we support safe access to medicine in accordance with state law, we share the concerns of the community as far as these recent developments go. Full Story
Mariposa County considers tougher marijuana growing laws
Mariposa County leaders are considering a new ordinance to crack down on illegal marijuana grows. State law says local governments can create more restrictive rules for medicinal marijuana than those that govern California. Full Story
Hash oil extraction is a growing, dangerous trend - officials
A marijuana byproduct called "hash oil" is being blamed for a series of explosions in Orange County, leaving several people badly injured. But the problem extends well beyond the Orange County borders. Full Story
Rohnert Park man accused of trying to sell marijuana online won't get it back
Despite two deadlocked juries and a dismissal of criminal charges, a judge Thursday refused to return a pound of marijuana to a Rohnert Park man accused of trying to sell it for $2,700 on Craigslist. Full Story
Medical Cannabis: Voices from the Frontlines (ASA Blog)
Read more articles and commentary on ASA's blog,Medical Cannabis: Voices from the Frontlines at http://www.AmericansForSafeAccess.org/blog
SPECIAL EVENT - Saturday, November 16 - Safe Access Night with SF Bulls Pro Hockey
Americans for Safe Access and San Francisco Bulls Hockey have teamed up to offer Safe Access Night at the Cow Palace. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to ASA, so come join other advocates for a night of hard hitting hockey!
Email email@example.com for more info or visit the ticket page.
Sign the petition for Jovan Jackson
San Diego District Attorney and anti-medical cannabis crusader Bonnie Dumanis wants to put a patient-provider on trial for the third time. Americans for Safe Access (ASA) needs your help to stop this unnecessary prosecution and to keep fighting for patients’ rights statewide.
ASA offers patients, their providers, attorneys, medical professionals and policymakers up-to-date information on the medical and legal use of cannabis nation-wide. ASA offers our members legal and legislative support including trainings, capacity-building, analysis, publications and strategic support. We organize media support for court cases, rapid response to law enforcement raids, and media responses to current events. Our successful advocacy, media, and legal campaigns have resulted in important court precedents, new sentencing standards, and more compassionate local and state guidelines.
Join between October 2nd and November 15th for a chance to win a FREE trip to DC for ASA's Annual Conference this April!
Because California has no mandatory state registration for medical cannabis patients, there is very little known about the patient population of the state. Please fill out this completely anonymous 10 question survey for California patients so that we can use this data in our efforts to bring safe access to all parts of the state.
Free Online Services
- Legal Support - Legal information for patients, lawyers, and other about medical cannabis laws the legal system.
- Publications - Education literature and training for patients, activists, and others.
- Raid Center - Be prepared for a law enforcement encounter, let ASA help you in case of a federal raid, and get text alerts regarding local law enforcement activity.
- Medical Cannabis Advocate's Training Center - Learn how to be a more effective advocate for medical cannabis and how to build the movement in your community.
ASA Chapter Meetings (Full Calendar Here)
Tuesday, October 29, 2013 - San Diego (North County)
7:00 PM @ Captain Keno's - 158 N Coast Highway 101 Encinitas, CA 92024
For more info, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, October 31, 2013 - Sacramento
7:00 PM @ 2315 K Street, Sacramento, CA 95816
For more info, contact: email@example.com
Monday, November 4, 2013 - Ventura ASA Action Group Meeting
6:30 - 8:00 PM @ EP Foster Library - Rentfrow Room, 651 East Main St. Ventura, CA 93001
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Have something to share?
The “California Weekly Roundup” is a once-a-week email for ASA Members and Friends that focuses on relevant news and important updates, action alerts, meetings and special events. Send items for the California Weekly Roundup to CARoundup@SafeAccessNow.org before 12:00 PM on Friday to be included in Monday's distribution.