- About About
Medical Patient Resources Patient's Guide to Medical Cannabis Patient's Guide to CBD Talking to your doctor Become a Legal Medical Marijuana Patient The Medical Cannabis Patient’s Guide for U.S. Travel Guide to Using Medical Cannabis Cannabis Tincture, Salve, Butter and Oil Recipes Arthritis and Medical Cannabis Cancer and Medical Cannabis Chronic Pain and Medical Cannabis Gastrointestinal Disorders and Medical Cannabis HIV/AIDS and Medical Cannabis Movement Disorders and Medical Cannabis Multiple Sclerosis and Medical Cannabis Aging and Medical Cannabis Veterans and Medical Cannabis Medical Marijuana Conditions in Your Area Leaf411 Affordability Program Growing Cannabis Tracking Treatment & Gathering Data with Releaf App Medical Professional Resources Medical Cannabis Continuing Medical Education (CME) Cannabis Safety Medical Cannabis Research
- Legal Legal
Advocacy ASA Chapters Start an ASA Chapter Take Action Campaigns No Patient Left Behind End Pain, Not Lives Vote Medical Marijuana Medical Cannabis Advocate's Training Center Resources for Tabling and Lobby Days Strategic Planning Civics 101 Strategic Messaging Citizen Lobbying Participating in Implementation Movement Building Organizing a Demonstration Organizing Turnout for Civic Meetings Public Speaking Media 101 Patient's History of Medical Cannabis
Policy Model Federal Legislation Download Ending The Federal Conflict Public Comments by ASA Industry Standards Guide to Regulating Industry Standards Recognizing Science using the Data Quality Act Data Quality Act Briefs Fact Sheet on ASA's Data Quality Act Petition to HHS ASA Data Quality Act petition to HHS Information on Lawyers and Named Patients in the Data Quality Act Lawsuit Reports 2020 State of the States Medical Cannabis in America Medical Cannabis Access for Pain Treatment
- News News
- Join Join
ASA Accomplishments – 2002 to 2014
- Provided free legal support to tens of thousands patients, providers, and others through our legal hotline, publications, and interactive web page.
- Trained thousands of activists to work on medical cannabis campaigns at the local, state, and federal level using printed materials, seminars, regional tours, and an innovative online training center.
- Trained thousands of citizens to know and assert their rights in a law enforcement encounter.
- Organized the first-ever rapid response to support the victims of federal medical cannabis law enforcement during raids, including an instant text-message alert for activists.
- Organized protests, rallies, and direct actions in support of patients’ rights and safe access nationwide.
- Promoted court support for medical cannabis defendants in hundreds of state and federal cases.
- Distributed more than one million pieces of educational literature about medical cannabis.
- Mounted an effective and ongoing patient-centered media campaign to reframe the issue of medical cannabis as a health care issue.
- Brought citizens face-to-face with lawmakers at all levels of government to talk about medical cannabis using lobby days, offices visits, and organized appearances at public meetings.
- Brought the patients’ voice to the table for the first time in the national conversation on medical cannabis.
- Worked with lawmakers in medical cannabis states to adopt and improve medical cannabis legislation and administrative procedures.
- Worked with elected officials to build capacity for medical cannabis legislation in Congress and support in the administrative agencies.
- Introduced the Truth in Trials Act in Congress, which would allow patients to disclose their legal medical use of cannabis in federal courts.
- Helped convince Congress to lift the eleven year-old ban on Washington, DC’s, medical cannabis law, which the voters passed overwhelmingly in 1998.
- Won important impact litigation in state court to secure the return of wrongfully-confiscated medicine, force implementation of medical cannabis laws, and protect providers.
- Successfully forced the Drug Enforcement Administration to respond to a petition to reschedule medical cannabis after ten years of delay.
- Filed an historic appeal in the United States Supreme Court to force the rescheduling of medical cannabis under federal law.
- Authored numerous amici curiae (“friend of the court”) briefs in support of patients’ rights in civil and criminal proceedings.
- Organized a prestigious medical and scientific advisory board to assist policy makers, researchers, and other stakeholders in understanding the science of medical cannabis.
- Hosted two successful conferences with a (60%) increase in attendance in the second year.
- Dramatically expanded the national coalition for medical cannabis by bringing powerful new allies, including the American Herbal Products Association, the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, and others.