Cannabis Tincture, Salve, Butter and Oil Recipes
The following recipes come from the Vancouver Island Compassion Society (thevics.com). Please note that not all state medical cannabis laws allow for cannabis concentrates. Where they do not, manufacture or possession of these substances usually carries serious penalties. Be sure to check the legal guidelines for your state.
Recipe and Instructions on How to Convert THCA Into THC
A tincture is an alcohol-based solution of a non-volatile medicine (in this case cannabis). In a cannabis tincture, alcohol is not only the solvent used to separate cannabinoids from the plant matter, it is what makes this type of application (particularly in fine-mist form) more bio-available and therefore effective.
In whole-plant cannabis, THC content is expressed as THCA (tetrahydrocannabolic acid) prior to decarboxilation into THC, which takes place when cannabis is heated during cooking, smoking or vaporized ingestion. THCA is a mild analgesic and anti-inflammatory but in order to make a THC-rich tincture that has many of the same therapeutic effects as smoked ingestion (including rapid absorption, quick relief and ease of self-titration), we must convert the THCA in the plant matter into THC prior to extracting it through an alcohol soak.
- Converted cannabis
- Alcohol (50% is preferred, but 40% vodka works just fine)
- Organic mint
- Organic honey
- Large mason jar, x 2
- Cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve
Dry heat conversion of THCA into THC
- Preheat oven to exactly 325°F (160°C). Use an oven thermometer to be sure.
- Spread leaf or bud in a 1 inch (2.5 cm) layer on a clean cookie sheet.
- Put in the oven until the first hint of smoke or 5 minutes, whichever is first; remove and transfer to a glass or ceramic container to cool.
- Pack a mason jar loosely but completely with converted cannabis product.
- Add alcohol until the jar is full.
- Seal, shake and put in a dark, cool place.
- After week one, strain mixture through cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve and add to another mason jar packed with converted cannabis and a few sprigs of fresh organic mint.
- After week two, strain through cheesecloth or fine mesh into mason jar.
- Add organic honey to taste.
- Shake/mix and then decant into bottles fitted with fine mist spray tops.
Initial Dosage: Spray two times on the inside of the cheek, and wait 30 seconds before swallowing. Wait ten minutes. If desired effect has not been reached, repeat on the opposite cheek. Wait ten minutes.Repeat until desired effect is achieved. Dosage will vary between users, but should remain fairly constant once established.
Effect will last for between 1-2 hours. Repeat use as needed. If you feel dizzy or disoriented, immediately discontinue use. Do not operate heavy machinery or drive during use of this product.
The VICS Cannabis Oil Recipe
Makes about 2 Liters of oil.
- 200 to 250 grams good quality organic cannabis shake (trim)
- Slow cooker
- Cheese cloth
- Silkscreen, min. 200+ thread count per inch
- 3 Liters Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Colander or strainer
- Put cannabis into slow cooker
- Add olive oil until it just covers the cannabis.
- Turn slow cooker to High for 2 hours, and then turn down to Low for an additional 4 to 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- To make a stronger product, add fresh cannabis to the previously heated oil left in the slow cooker and top up oil to cover the cannabis; keep cooking on low heat overnight or up to two days.
- Strain oil, as warm as possible, through cheese cloth, then strain through silkscreen. The oil is ready to use as is. It will keep for up to 3 months.
- Cannabis oil can be quite potent and have a very narcotic effect. It is recommended that you do not drive or perform difficult tasks after consumption.
The VICS Salve Recipe
This recipe yields roughly 525 ml of topical salve; vary ingredients proportionately for a smaller or larger batch.
- 400 ml Cannaoil (converted cannabis and olive oil - see our Cannaoil recipe)
- 40 grams shaved beeswax
- 45 drops lavender oil
- 30 drops mint oil
- 1/2 tsp. of honey
- Combine Cannaoil and beeswax in a small crockpot, or a small double boiler; put on low heat, no higher than 150oF (65oC).
- Stir constantly until all the beeswax is melted.
- Add lavender and mint oil to the Cannaoil/beeswax. Stir to blend oils. Allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Keeping the crockpot, or double boiler, on very low heat, pour the salve into container(s); stir the mix prior to pouring in order to maintain consistency.
- Let salve cool completely before putting lid(s) on.
- Benefits: Fast skin absorption with minimal residual effect. Eases dry skin conditions. Provides mild pain relief for muscular and/or joint pain.
The VICS Cannabutter Recipe
- Good quality organic cannabis (14 grams of bud or 76 grams of shake (trim) per 454 grams (1 lb.) of butter)
- 6 to 8 Litre (1.5 gallon) capacity boiling pot
- Fine mesh strainer, or colander, or large coffee filter, or nylon stockings
- Large refrigerator-safe pot
- Fill a 6 to 8 litre pot with cold water and bring to boil.
- Add butter and cannabis.
- Lower heat and simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally (add water if necessary).
- Strain out liquid into refrigerator-safe bowl using fine strainer, large coffee filter or nylon stocking. Squeeze butter out of remaining leaf (wear gloves, the leaf is hot!).
- Discard strained leaf.
- Let liquid cool, and then put into refrigerator overnight. Butter will separate from water and form a hard crust on surface of liquid.
- Lift out butter crust and put into large mixing bowl. Cream and fold butter using a large metal or wooden spoon. Discard remaining liquid.
Butter is ready to use as is. It will keep in freezer up to 3 months. When baking with cannabutter, select recipes such as cookies with short, low-heat cooking instructions (below 163 degrees C or 325 degrees F) At higher temperatures, the cannabinoids in the butter will break down and be lost while cooking.
Products baked with cannabutter take effect within 30 to 90 minutes from initial ingestion and can last for several hours. For maximum effect, ingest on an empty stomach. Cannabutter can be quite potent and have a strong narcotic effect. It is recommended that you not drive or perform difficult tasks after ingesting.