Recommending Cannabis in Rhode Island
Medical professionals recommending medical cannabis must be either a person who is licensed to practice medicine with authority to prescribe drugs under Rhode Island state statute or a licensed physician in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, or Connecticut. Physicians must provide written certifications for qualifying patients using the Practitioner Form. The written certification must specify the qualifying patient’s debilitating medical condition or conditions, and shall be made only in the course of a bona fide practitioner-patient relationship after the practitioner has made a full assessment of the qualifying patient’s medical history.
Qualifying conditions include:
- HIV/ AIDS
- Hepatitis C
- Cachexia or wasting syndrome
- Severe, debilitating, chronic pain
- Severe nausea
- seizures, including those characteristic of epilepsy
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including those characteristic of multiple sclerosis and Crohn's disease
- Alzheimer's disease
- Any other medical condition or treatment, approved by the DOH in the future.