Pages tagged "SB 1029"
- Message from the CA Director: Grassroots power worked this year
- State & Local News: National, state, and local news from communities all over California
- Public Meetings & Events: Online, Riverside, and Washington, DC
- Court Support: Sacramento
- Take Action Now: Organ transplants and Measure S (Nevada County)
- ASA Website Spotlight: National Medical Cannabis Unity Conference 2015
- Chapter & Affiliate Meetings: San Francisco, Yuba County, Sonoma County, and Sacramento
Happy Labor Day, California. The state legislature has adjourned for the year, and on balance, it has been a good session for medical cannabis patients and other stakeholders. Your grassroots action helped stop some bad bills from becoming law this year:
- AB 1588 would have increased the minimum buffer zone between legal patients’ cooperatives and collectives and schools statewide. We killed this bill in committee early in the session.
- AB 2500 would have made it a crime for a legal patient to drive with even a tiny amount of cannabis detectable in their blood. ASA members and others defeated this bill in committee for the third year in a row.
- SB 1193 was amended at the last minute to remove language beneficial to patients. ASA members generated more than 1,000 emails many phone calls in opposition to the amended bill in just one week.
We didn’t win every battle. SB 1029 would have expanded eligibility for public assistance to certain drug felons, including those convicted cannabis “crimes.” That bill died in committee. The legislature also rejected two bills that would have regulated commercial medical cannabis activity – AB 1894 and SB 1262. Read more about that process in my blog from last week: http://www.safeaccessnow.org/regulations_in_california_will_have_to_wait_againRead more
Message from the CA Director - A busy week for medical cannabis in the California legislature
- Regulations are good for patients (California)
- State Senate panel advances medical marijuana regulations (California)
- Medical Association won't back medical pot bill because of lack of research (California)
- Cops and Politicians Play Doctor With California Patients (California)
- Sacramento County supervisors vote to ban outdoor marijuana gardens (Sacramento County)
- Video: Applicants seek permits for medical pot shops (San Diego)
- Inside a Christian Pot Shop (Sacramento)
- Santa Monica City Council Balks At Endorsing Medical Marijuana Bill (Santa Monica)
- Medical marijuana advocacy group seeks suspension of Diamond Bar’s ban on dispensaries (Diamond Bar)
- D.A. candidates tackle medical pot at Santa Rosa forum (Sonoma County)
- Pot grower sues Fresno County, saying cultivation fines excessive (Fresno County)
- Tehama County Supervisors ban marijuana cultivation on vacant lots; require annual registration renewal (Tehama County)
- Monday, April 28, 2014 – CA Senate Appropriations Committee Hearing on SB 1029 (Sacramento)
- Tuesday, April 29, 2014 – CA Public Safety Committee Hearing on AB 2500 (Sacramento)
- Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - CA Senate Public Safety Committee Hearing on SB 1193 (Sacramento)
- Wednesday, April 30, 2014 – CA Senate Health Committee Hearing on SB 1262 (Sacramento)
- Monday, May 12, 2014 – Bloodganja: Medical Cannabis Movie & Panel (Santa Barbara)
- Wednesday, May 28, 2014 – Sacramento County Board of Supervisors Meeting (Sacramento)
- Oppose AB 2500 in California!
- Join Americans for Safe Access (ASA)
ASA Website Spotlight
- The Informed Advocate
ASA CA Chapter Spotlight
- Sonoma ASA
ASA Chapter & Affiliate Meetings
- Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - San Diego ASA (North County)
- Thursday, May 1, 2014 - Sonoma ASA (Santa Rosa)