Pages tagged "Santa Monica"
- Message from the CA Director
- California & National News
- Public Meetings & Events
- Court Support
- Take Action Now
- ASA Website Spotlight: Are You Facing State or Federal Charges?
- ASA Chapter & Affiliate Meetings
Message from the CA Director
The California Supreme Court ruled last year that nothing in state law prevents cities and counties from banning medical cannabis patients’ collectives and cooperatives. More than 200 local jurisdictions do so already, and there are sure to be additional bans in the future. Patients living in access deserts, areas without practical legal access to medicine, are not likely to get relief from the state legislature in the near future. No state lawmaker has stepped up to challenge the authority of local government to ban, and a bill working its way through the state legislature this summer would further establish the right of cities and counties to regulate or ban patients’ associations.
That is a sobering reality for patients in the state’s access deserts, but there are some new oases on the horizon. Riverside County is notorious for its opposition to medical cannabis, but lawmakers in the tiny city of Blythe have just voted to repeal their moratorium on medical cannabis facilities and allow two or three to open. Another small city in Riverside County, Desert Hot Springs, will soon join neighboring Palm Springs in allowing legal access. And voters in Cathedral City and the City of Riverside will soon get to vote on whether or not to allow patients’ associations. The trend is not just limited to Riverside County. Voters in Santa Monica, San Jose, Butte County, and Nevada County are all running voter initiatives to create local access.
Some of the measures are motivated by a desire for revenue, and others are the result of years of work by local advocates. Despite these motives and efforts, we are probably going to have persistent access deserts in some rural and southern communities for years to come. However, the current legislative and initiative efforts are an indication of the possibility to make progress where a committed grassroots base has the skills and resources to mount an effective campaign. ASA can help. We have free organizing tools, professional support for campaigners, and a free online training program for advocates – including strategic planning, media, coalition building, and more.
We are going to talk more about local campaigns and how we can help at the California Citizen Lobby Day in Sacramento on Monday, August 4, and on a live Google Hangout this Thursday, June 26. A Google hangout is a free online event you can join from your computer of mobile device. Please join me for both.
Message from the CA Director - Fremont and Santa Monica
- Medical marijuana providers raided (Mohave)
- California Police Now Want To Regulate Medical Pot — Right Out of Existence (California)
- Fresno County supervisors close loophole on marijuana ban (Fresno County)
- Obama resists using his power to ease marijuana laws (National)
- Cigarettes are out; marijuana's in (California)
- UCSF to study marijuana-based drug for children (San Francisco)
- Dr. David Allen Becomes Medical Board Target (Sacramento)
- Medical marijuana dispensary in San Bernardino Mountains robbed (San Bernardino)
- Cannabis and Yoga as Complementary Medicines (Atwater Crossing)
- Corona man behind bars in illegal Long Beach marijuana dispensary case (Long Beach)
- Tuesday, February 11, 2014 – Fremont City Council Hearing (Fremont)
- Wednesday, February 12 – Santa Monica Planning Commission Hearing (Santa Monica)
- Saturday, February 15, 2014 – San Diego 215 Party (San Diego)
- Saturday, February 15, 2014 – Sonoma ASA 215 Party (Santa Rosa)
- Sunday, February 23, 2014 – State of the Medical Cannabis Union 2014: A Panel of Cannabis Experts (Berkeley)
- April 5-7, 2014 - The 2nd Annual National Medical Cannabis Unity Conference (Washington, DC)
- Support the Medical Marijuana Organ Transplant Act
- Join Americans for Safe Access (ASA)
ASA Website Spotlight
- Resources for Patients
- Free Online Services
- ASA Cloud Vaporizer Pen
- ASA Condition-Specific Booklets for Kindle
ASA Chapter & Affiliate Meetings
- Tuesday, February 11, 2014 – Nevada County ASA (Grass valley)
- Tuesday, February 11, 2014 – San Diego ASA (San Diego)
- Thursday, February 13, 2014 – San Diego ASA (Imperial Beach)
- Thursday, February 13, 2014 – Yuba County ASA (Foothills)