Pages tagged "medical marijuuana"
- Message from the CA Director: One more battle in Sacramento this year
- State & Local News: News from communities all over California
- Public Meetings & Events: Santa Rosa, Riverside, and Online
- Court Support: Submit dates for court support!
- Take Action Now: Oppose SB 1193 and more
- ASA Website Spotlight: Patient Focused Certification
- Chapter & Affiliate Meetings: Submit dates for local meetings!
The 2014 legislative session is almost over. Lawmakers have until August 31 to pass hundreds of bills through the state Assembly and Senate, and Governor Brown has thirty days to sign or veto each. One topic not on the agenda will be SB 1262 (Correa/Ammiano), the bill that would have created statewide regulations for doctors who recommend medical cannabis and for the medical cannabis industry. That bill was held in the Assembly Appropriations Committee on August 15, so it will not be adopted this year. Both co-authors are serving their final terms in the legislature according o the state’s term limit rules, so it is back to the drawing board for statewide regulations in 2015.
Pictured: California Senator Noreen Evans (D-Santa Rosa), author of SB 1193
The Assembly may still vote on a badly amended version of SB 1193 (Evans) – unless we stop them first! SB 1193 was a win-win compromise for law enforcement and patients in California. The old version of the bill, which ASA supported, reduced the amount of cannabis and cannabis plants police and Sheriff’s departments have to keep as evidence, but required law enforcement to pay reasonable compensation if they damaged or destroyed cannabis or plants later found to be legal. Unfortunately, the Assembly Appropriations Committee removed language requiring the return of wrongfully-confiscated property and reasonable compensation at the August 15 hearing.Read more