- About About
Medical Patient Resources Cannabis Care Certification Patient's Guide to Medical Cannabis Patient's Guide to CBD Talking to your doctor Become a Legal Medical Marijuana Patient The Medical Cannabis Patient’s Guide for U.S. Travel Guide to Using Medical Cannabis Cannabis Tincture, Salve, Butter and Oil Recipes Arthritis and Medical Cannabis Cancer and Medical Cannabis Chronic Pain and Medical Cannabis Gastrointestinal Disorders and Medical Cannabis HIV/AIDS and Medical Cannabis Movement Disorders and Medical Cannabis Multiple Sclerosis and Medical Cannabis Aging and Medical Cannabis Veterans and Medical Cannabis Medical Marijuana Conditions in Your Area Growing Cannabis Tracking Treatment & Gathering Data with Releaf App Medical Professional Resources Medical Cannabis Continuing Medical Education (CME) Cannabis Safety Medical Cannabis Research
- Legal Legal
Advocacy ASA Chapters Start an ASA Chapter Take Action Congress Must Act for Cannabis Patients! Pass Medical Cannabis Legislation NOW! Campaigns No Patient Left Behind End Pain, Not Lives Vote Medical Marijuana Medical Cannabis Advocate's Training Center Resources for Tabling and Lobby Days Strategic Planning Civics 101 Strategic Messaging Citizen Lobbying Participating in Implementation Movement Building Organizing a Demonstration Organizing Turnout for Civic Meetings Public Speaking Media 101 Patient's History of Medical Cannabis
Policy Policy Positions Model Federal Legislation Download Ending The Federal Conflict Public Comments by ASA Industry Standards Guide to Regulating Industry Standards Recognizing Science using the Data Quality Act Data Quality Act Briefs Fact Sheet on ASA's Data Quality Act Petition to HHS ASA Data Quality Act petition to HHS Information on Lawyers and Named Patients in the Data Quality Act Lawsuit Reports 2021 State of the States Cannabis and Cannabis Resin- Critical Review Preparation Document Medical Cannabis in America
- News News
- Join Join
Launch an ASA Action Group in your community!
What is an ASA Action Group?
ASA Action Groups are self-starting activist groups that come together to fight for safe access to medical marijuana. Maybe there is a specific law in your town or city you want to change. Maybe you are concerned about state laws. Maybe it's Congress that really makes you mad.
For many issues, we can give you materials and support. For others, we look to you to play a leadership role in your community.
*To learn more about what Chapters and Action Groups do, check out the Chapter Handbook.*
What are the ASA Action Group Principles?
- Focus solely on medical marijuana issues. ASA Action Groups do not work on legalization of marijuana for non-medical purposes or other illicit drug issues.
- Treat others respectfully - including those who might disagree with ASA’s mission. That doesn't mean we are quiet - it just means we are fair.
- Make time to also work on national ASA campaigns.
- Be nonpartisan and do not endorse candidates for elected office.
- Do not make business or commercial endorsements.
What is the difference between an ASA Action Group and an ASA Chapter?
- ASA Action Groups are self-selecting groups of activists who want to work together on medical marijuana issues. ASA Chapters are community groups that represent ASA in a specific community. ASA Chapters have elections, rules, and officeholders. ASA Action Groups do not.
- Chapters must have at least 10 current dues-paying ASA members as part of their Affiliation Agreement. Action Groups must have at least 3 current ASA members as part of their Affiliation Agreement.
- Action Groups cannot use the ASA name or logo without explicit permission of ASA National. This includes outreach, social media, and fundraising.
- ASA National does not extend its 501c4 nonprofit status to Action Groups like it does with Chapters. In addition, Action Groups are not offered the same fundraising support as Chapters.
Can there be more than one ASA Action Group in a community?
Absolutely! Just make sure your Action Group is respectful of the other Action Group’s goals, and vice versa. Action Groups should strive to work with other Action Groups and Chapters in their area.
How to start an ASA Action Group …
- Have 3 current dues-paying ASA members.
- Complete the Action Group Affiliation Agreement along with the Action Group Membership form.
- Submit both forms to [email protected].