Becoming a Caregiver, Producer, or Provider in Utah


Caregivers are permitted, but only for minor-patients and the caregiver must be the patient’s parent or legal guardian. A parent or legal guardian is required to serve as the cardholder for a patient under the age of 18.


While the law is silent on personal cultivation and dispensing of cannabis, a portion of the legislation known as the “Industrial Hemp Research Act” authorizes the Utah Department of Agriculture or state-approved academic institutions to produce cannabis for research purposes.