Recommending Cannabis in Ohio
Physicians who wish to recommend medical cannabis under HB 523 must complete register with the state. The state is currently developing regulations regarding:
- The procedures that a physician must follow when applying for a certificate to recommend;
- The conditions that must be met to be eligible for a certificate to recommend;
- The schedule and procedures for renewing a certificate to recommend;
- The reasons for which a certificate to recommend may be suspended or revoked;
- The standards under which a certificate to recommend suspension may be lifted; and,
- The minimal standards of care when recommending treatment with medical marijuana.
In the meantime, physicians may issue complete paperwork for patients seeking eligibility for the affirmative defense. The written statement must include confirmation that: (1) the patient and physician are in a bona-fide relationship, (2) the patient has a qualifying condition, (3) the physician has examined the prescription history of the patient from the past year, (4) the physician has discussed the benefits and potential risks with the patient, and (5) the physician agrees that the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks.