Maine Producer & Provider Info


Caregivers must register with the State and receive an ID card before they can possess and cultivate marijuana unless they live in the same household as the patient or are a member of the same family as the patient.

Caregivers may possess up to 2.5 ounces and 6 plants in an enclosed and locked facility for each patient the caregiver assists. A person cannot be a caregiver for more than 5 patients and 6 plants per patient. Caregivers may receive compensation for the costs of their services.

Caregivers who are cultivating pay a registration fee of $300 per patient (up to 5) and $31 for the criminal background check. Caregivers who do not cultivate pay no registration fee.

Caregivers are required to register with the MMMP unless the caregiver and patient live in the same household or are members of the same family. Caregivers may not have a criminal conviction and are subject to a background check.

DHHS has more information and required forms. 

NOTE: Patients who have a physician’s written certification for the medical use of marijuana will not be required to register with the Department of Public Health (DPH) on January 1, 2014. DPH will not begin registering patients and caregivers until it completes development of an online registration system, at a date to be announced later in 2014. DPH will notify the public well in advance on its medical marijuana website,, when this online registration system is operational and must be used.


Maine has a licensed system of medical cannabis dispensaries. These dispensaries must be non-profit, licensed by the state and follow a set of strict regulations. A dispensary may not give you more than 2.5 ounces of cannabis in a 15-day period. Local ordinances may also determine how dispensaries can operate near you.

Patient collectives are prohibited. Patients must cultivate for themselves or designate a registered caregiver or licensed dispensary to do it for them. A registered caregiver may enlist the assistance of another registered caregiver in tending plants for up to two weeks by providing written notice to DHHS.

DHHS has more information and applications.  


In This Section